22nd Annual National Small Works Exhibition
Sponsored by the Washington Print Club
Eligible entries include hand-pulled prints, screen prints, digital prints, photographs, and three-dimensional work (including artist books) with print components completed within the past two years. Prizes include a Solo exhibition at the gallery in Georgetown neighborhood of Washington DC, art materials certificates, and a $500 cash prize. Juror is JD Talasek, the director of Cultural Programs of the National Academy of Sciences For details, visit http://washingtonprintmakers.com/2019-national-small-works-competition-and-exhibition/
Deadline for Submission June 8th, 2019.
Washington Printmakers Gallery seeks small works completed in the last two years from artists nationwide.
- This exhibition is open to any artist 18 years of age or older residing in the United States of America except members of the Washington Printmakers Gallery. A maximum of 4 original works created within the past 2 years may be entered.
- Hand-pulled prints, screen prints, digital prints, photographs, and three-dimensional work with print components.
- Original, editioned, and archivally printed and framed. (We accept editions of one, that is, 1/1, of monoprints, etc.)
- For two dimensional work, image may be NO LARGER THAN 100 square inches, with framed size NO LARGER THAN 250 square inches Three dimensional work may be no more than 250 cubic inches needing no frame.
- All work must be visibly signed by artist (front or back) and include edition numbers and certificate of authenticity for hand-pulled prints and photographs. Works must be priced for sale or marked POR (price on request). List framed price. When setting prices please note that WPG will retain a 40% commission on all sales.
- Grand Prize: Solo exhibition at the Washington Printmakers Gallery in Georgetown.
- 1st Prize: $500 cash award from Washington Print Club
- 2nd Prize: $150 Solarplate Award gifted by Dan Welden
- 3rd Prize: $100 Gift Certificate from Dick Blick
- 4th Prize: $100 Materials Award from Renaissance Graphic Arts.
- 5th Prize: $100 Plaza Art Materials gift card
Juror: JD Talasek, the director of Cultural Programs of the National Academy of Sciences.
Entries and Submission Fees
- Artists may submit up to four entries for a non-refundable entry fee of $35. Artists should submit one high resolution JPG image for two-dimensional pieces, and may submit up to three images for each three-dimensional piece. As a guideline, we recommend that you set the pixel dimension to approximately 2000 pixels on the longest side to provide the best image for the juror.
- Please REVIEW SIZE LIMITATIONS, to be sure the work you submit meets the size requirements.
- A short biography and artist's statement are required.
- Only one artwork from each applicant will be chosen for exhibit; that is, no entrant will have more than one piece selected and put on display. Accepted pieces are submitted only after the jurying process. Artists
- Images of accepted works may be used at the sole discretion of Washington Printmakers Gallery for promotional purposes including but not limited to the invitation, catalog, web site or on a subsequent year’s prospectus. Image will include attribution whenever possible.
Delivery, Presentation, & Installation:
- All work delivered to the gallery must have the following information affixed to the non-viewing side of artwork: Artist Name, Address, phone number and email, Title of the work, medium and price.
- Work must arrive or be delivered on scheduled dates.
- Measure to ensure work meets size limitations before delivery, include outer edges of frames. Work not in compliance will not be exhibited. No exceptions.
- Two-dimensional work must be suitably framed (clip frames not allowed) and under Plexiglass. Frames should be ready for hanging, using wires -- no saw-tooth hanging tabs. Work that does not meet these standards will not be included in the exhibition and will be returned at the artist’s expense.
- Shipped work must be packed in a sturdy, re-usable box. No packing peanuts. Instructions for re-packing work should be included. All shipped work must include a pre-paid return shipping label. Work shipped without pre-paid return receipt and/or acceptable packing material will not be returned.
- All work will be handled with all possible care, but pieces submitted for exhibition are at the artist’s risk. In the event of damage or theft, Washington Printmakers Gallery will not be held liable. If insurance is desired, the artist must carry it.
- June 8. Deadline for entries (11:59 PM)
- By June 21. All entrants notified by email. Contact Washington Printmakers Gallery if you do not receive notice.
- July 18 - 25. Shipped and hand-delivered work to arrive in Washington.
- July 30-31. Prize Winners Notified.
- August 1. Exhibition Opens.
- August 17, 2-4 pm. Reception & Awards.
- August 25, 2019. Last day of exhibition.
- August 29 & 30 Noon-5:30 PM. Pick up artwork.
Use the form below to create an account.